I recently got an account on Google Wave
and I think it has promise. What interests me most is the possibility for project management. Previously I was using ThinkingRock
which is a great application and has tons of features. However I didn't use most of the features and I wanted to share projects, to-do lists, etc with other people. I then started to move my projects to Google Tasks
with hopes that it would allow sharing similar to Google Calendar's
When I got my Google Wave account I was glad to find out it has the ability to selectively share a wave with another person (isn't that the whole point behind Google Wave?). I looked for some sort of project management or to-do plugin but I realized that Google Wave provides everything I need without plugins. Granted I'm using a very small subset of project management ideas but it works well enough for me.
My setup is as follows:
- New projects are identified by a specific tag
- Each task is represented by a wave
- New tasks are given tags according to which projects they belong to
- Users can be added to tasks, unfortunately they can't be removed (yet)
- Users can update tasks with new info
- When a task is completed a "Completed" tag is added to the task
- Tasks can be sorted by project using Saved Searches
- To search for all open tasks in a project use the search
tag:Project Name -tag:Completed or just
tag:Project Name, -Completed
- To search for all completed tasks in a project use the search
tag:Project Name, Completed
That's all I'm using Google Wave for right now. I'll provide updates for any new processes I come up with.
Some notes about searching:
- There are several search terms to choose from.
- The only operator I have found is '-' used to negate a term; I have not found other operators such as 'and' or 'or' in the documentation.